Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Super Bowl Snacks and Home-Made Party Hats

Super Bowl... Great success!  There was great food, great people, a great game and thanks to some inspiration from one of my favorite blogs, Aunt Peaches, the fun also included some great home-made party hats!  But we'll get to those a little later!
I have such a nice boyfriend who willingly 
participates in all of my silly ideas.  
Ahhhh the food!!  All of last week I was anxiously awaiting the day of the Super Bowl for the simple fact that I was a great excuse to fill the house with junk food!  With the diet plan that I have been on, junk food has been strictly prohibited.  An excuse for  taco dip, chicken wings, and cornbread were joyfully welcomed!  I did manage to include some healthy options on the menu as well.  Cauliflower crust pizza and a healthy black bean and ground turkey chili.  Now the cauliflower pizza might sound super gross, I know, but it was actually very good!  I was so pleased with the outcome that I will share! 

Cauliflower Power Pizza (This is the name I have given the recipe)
Ingredients Needed:  
  • head of cauliflower
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cup package of FF mozzarella
  • low carb marinara sauce
  • 1/2 lb. ground turkey
  • mushrooms
  • bell pepper
  • (any other veggies you want, I added some diced onions)
  • olive oil
  • italian Seasoning
  • garlic Salt
What to do! 
- preheat oven to 450
- cut up head of cauliflower into smaller pieces and put into a food processor
- make at least 2 cups of processed cauliflower
- cook on stovetop in saucepan with olive oil and garlic salt for at least 10 minutes (make sure not to cook on too high of heat; you don't want to fry the cauliflower)
- combine cooked cauliflower, both eggs and 1 cup of the FF mozzarella in a separate bowl
- spray cookie sheet with pam and spread the mixture over the pan
- bake for 15-20 minutes edges do get very brown but crust should look overall golden
- while baking the crust, brown the ground turkey with italian seasoning and garlic salt
- Take crust out and assemble pizza with sauce, veggies, meat, and 1 cup of FF mozzarella
-Broil until cheese is melted
- and Voila!

The pizza tastes great and you can't even taste the cauliflower.  I did have a  problem with the crust wanting to stick to the pan and not getting crunchy enough, but I think if I make the recipe again, I might try and make the pizza more like a casserole in individual ramekins.  This way I can allow the crust to cook longer in the dish without worrying about having to try and get it off of the bottom of the pan.  It was an overall success.  

The party hats, however, were the hit of the party!  My papaw was so tickled with his hat that he took it into work the next day to show all of the guys.  He couldn't stop texting me and telling me how good my chili and cornbread were and how everyone he told or showed his party hat to loved it. 

I pulled inspiration for the hats here.  Obviously Aunt Peaches' party hats are much fancier and prettier than my Super Bowl hats, but the concept is the same.  
I decided to use already sparkly party hats purchased from the dollar store in team colors.  I then asked for all of my party guests to rsvp with which team they would be rooting for and went to work finding pictures online of football players from each team and pictures of my guests' faces.  I cut out the faces and football players and replaced the players' heads with the faces of my party guests.  After glueing the newly formed players to the hats i simply added a pom pom ball to the top of each party hat.  :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment